Get your motor runnin

“You could call me a motor head.”

When students first see coach Sayger most would never guess that he has a passion for cars.

“I got into cars because my dad had always worked on cars and I got more interested in it the closer I came to driving.”

Around the time he started driving he bought his dads old “junker” and started to rebuild the car. It was a 1963 Plymouth Valiant; the car rebuild took him about three and a half years (basically all through high school).  

“When I first started to paint my 63’ someone hit my car before I was done painting it and messed it up. After the paint being messed up I decided to change the color and re-painted.”

He also owns and rebuilt a 1954 Dodge Royal he inherited from his grandfather.

“I no longer drive the 63’ as much I would like to, but I do try to drive it at least every weekend.”

Coach Sayger was an intern last year at White Knoll. He grew up in Ridgeland SC while in school in Ridgeland he played football and baseball. Math came natural to him in High School but he later realized he wasn’t as into it as he believed. Compared to White Knoll Coach Sayger has noticed that Chapin is a very tight knit community and he has realized although it sounds cliché the students are much better behaved. In his spare time he likes to watch basketball and keep in shape. Coach Sayger coaches football mainly, but if he could coach another sport it would have to be baseball.

“My dream car would have to be a 1967-1969 Chevrolet Camaro; I’d want it to be dark gray like my Valiant.”

Coach Sayger and his father have the same car that have both been rebuilt his dads car is a different year but the same model and also his dad’s car is red while his is dark gray. He keeps the 63’ with him in Columbia but the 54’ stays back at home in Ridgeland.