Invisible Revolution sparks in Chapin hallways

One of the hottest clubs at Chapin High School this year is Starting The Invisible Revolution or S.T.I.R.  This club focuses on raising awareness on the major issues facing Africa, including famine and war, but the main focus is on the Invisible Children movement.

Ashley Sears, co-president of S.T.I.R., is involved in the club mainly because of its international impact.

“It focuses on a world issue. It is not local and it is not just Chapin. It is about Darfur and Uganda and it is taking community service and spreading it,” said Senior Sears.

The Invisible Children movement is an organization that raises awareness of the unjust treatment of children in Uganda. The organization is trying to help bring an end to the civil wars taking place in Uganda and stop the use of young children as soldiers.

An estimated tens of thousands of children have been abducted and are being used as child soldiers for the rebel faction Lord’s Resistance Army. Some estimates place the number of abducted children being forced to fight at nearly 90 percent of the total enlistment.

85 percent of the nation is living in poverty and the estimated life expectancy for men and women is 50.

Sears says the club is trying to “bring awareness to the poverty and unjust treatment in Africa and mainly focus on the ‘invisible children’, which is five and six year olds being forced into war and brainwashed into thinking that killing people and fighting is the right thing to do.”

S.T.I.R. was first introduced to Chapin two years ago, but the club only lasted a few meetings and one rally. Sears says the club will be different this year.

“We have a huge amount of people interested in this. Also a lot of people are passionate about it and are not going to forget about it next year.”

The club has big plans for this year that involve raising money for World Hunger Day on October 16th.  Club Presidents Sears and Senior Anna Grimes, along with teacher-advisor Mr. Mewborne, meet about twice a week to discuss future plans and welcome any students interested in joining S.T.I.R.