Stockholm Syndrome captures fans

From left to right: David Finley, Josh Slack, Colton Beasley, Cole Mitchell, Trey Justice

Picture a boy band and one of two images inevitably comes to mind. The first resembles something similar to the Jonas Brothers; second something grungier like The Cab.

“I think of tight jeans, hair that took more time to style than Lady Gaga’s, and a synthesized bubble gum pop sound that only twelve year old girls like,” sophomore Amanda Lott says.

Stockholm Syndrome defies both stereotypes. With the collective talents of lead singer and bassist Colton Beasley, lead guitarist Trey Justice, bassist Josh Slack, guitarist David Finley, and drummer Cole Mitchell, they’ve broken the mold of the average boy band.

“I think what sets us apart is our individual musical inspirations because they’re across different genres so when they come together it sounds really good,” said Junior Mitchell.

While they know that talent is a necessary component to success, they also understand the importance of fans.

“A band, no matter how great their music is, if nobody likes them, then it doesn’t matter,” Senior Justice said. They have a large fan base at CHS.

“They’re good. They have a pretty good sound and some sick vocals,” Junior Ryan Staub said.

“It’s really fun to have fans. Unless they’re stalkers,” Senior Finley said.

Not only do students enjoy Stockholm Syndrome, but teacher and fellow musician Mr. Funk can also see their talent, especially after they won the band division of Chapin Idol.

“A lot of young bands are sloppy, but these guys have talent and are put together,” Funk said. Funk was also in a high school band and says that it was a lot of fun, and it helped him meet people. Junior Beasley can relate.

“I didn’t really know anybody at this school, then the week after Chapin Idol I’m saying hey to a bunch of people who saw me at the show, and they’re telling me good job,” Beasley said.

Aside from Beasley and Slack being in the school jazz band, the band is self taught. They all have different influences; Justice likes AC/DC but Finley prefers metal music. Their separate interests contribute to their unique sounds.

“We play a lot of different genres; we’ve even got covers that are borderline country. We’ll play almost anything,” Beasley said.

Adding to their diversity, they all took different paths to music. Slack started playing upright bass in 5th grade and switched to bass guitar in 9th grade.

“When you’re in 5th grade and the orchestra lady comes and she shows you the biggest instrument and you’re a little fat kid, you think “I want that.” Just out of pure size,” Slack said.

Mitchell started playing the drums two years ago because he liked the video game Rock Band 2.

Recently, they have started writing their own songs. They have four written and one recorded. Justice writes the riffs and music, and Beasley adds the lyrics, but everyone in the band contributes to the final product. They expect to have a demo CD for sale by December.

“Originality is a key tool to becoming a great band,” Slack said. Serena Finley, David Finley’s sister, is rooting for them.

“I’m really hoping that they’re successful because they are always practicing and it pays off. They really deserve it,” Serena said.

The band tries to expand their fan base by messaging people on Facebook to get them to listen to their demo, which is available on their page.

While positive feedback is appreciated, they don’t rely on it. In the end, its their love for music that keeps them playing.

“Whenever I’m 50, I want to have the same passion for music as I do at 17,” Mitchell said.