Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Murphy minds tax payer dollars

Faculty members and students at Chapin High have heard of Kim Murphy; she is the woman who stands in the way of the school’s new construction. This past election she ran for School Board Member and, to our utter surprise, was elected. If Kim Murphy is so unpopular with the faculty, students, and parents of District 5, then where did this support come from? And now that she is elected, what could this mean for District 5?

The first fact to be recognized is that while ‘many’ of the students, family, and faculty of District 5 oppose Kim Murphy, a larger majority supported her, such as the taxpayers. All this new construction in District 5 will substantially increase the taxes imposed on those living in District 5, and not all of us may support higher taxation. Those who want their tax dollars spent wisely see Kim Murphy as the one who will make sure it is done.

Also in Kim Murphy’s favor is her work as a civilian reporter and watchdog. Before running for School Board, she raised issues on construction projects that did not reflect the plans put forth in the 2008 Bond Referendum and that went over the budget that the public voters agreed upon. On April 22nd, she published an article that discussed a 7.7 million dollar contract that District 5 awarded without the approval of South Carolina’s Department of Education.  Proponents of Kim Murphy revere her as a muckraker journalist exposing lax decision making, omitted information, and the careless spending of millions of our tax dollars. Opponents say Kim Murphy is merely interpreting facts to her advantage. Take Chapin High’s ‘Wetland’ issue.

Not many students are aware of this, but behind Chapin High School is a little wooded area, and further in is a little creek. Chapin’s new construction plans will level this entire area to make way for large sports fields. Kim Murphy was able to stop construction by filing a claim to DHEC that stated that this area was wetlands. There is debate over whether or not this area remotely resembles a wetland, but construction can still be postponed as long as a year until DHEC investigates the claim and makes a decision. One thing is certain, Kim Murphy is deeply involved in District 5’s activities, and it is causing problems for the current board members.

Whichever way you look at Kim Murphy, she is now our new School Board member, and a formidable one at that. Kim Murphy has made it her business that our district board members follow their own rules to the word and make the best possible decisions on budget and building.

Opponents feel that nothing is good enough for Kim Murphy and she will only end up delaying the construction projects. Delays will end up costing the state more money, and possibly theconstruction projects. Those who support Kim Murphy, however, feel more secure now that there is someone looking out for how their taxes are managed.