Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

A Christmas List

The Holiday Season.  It’s the one time of year that everyone waits for.  Whether it is the cold weather, winter break or gift giving, this season brings people together and while not everyone celebrates the same holiday, everyone can enjoy the holiday specials on television and theatres.  No matter what beliefs they may have, everyone remembers “A Christmas Story.”  Who could forget the famous quote “You’ll shoot your eye out,” or the tongue stuck to a flagpole myth?  “My favorite scene” says Senior Tim Brower, “is the ‘oh fudge’ line.”  This movie is such a favorite that every year there is a 24-hour marathon in honor of it.  Why does everyone love this movie so much, though?  Because it has to do with something everyone knows about: dysfunctional families.  No one has the perfect family and the family in “A Christmas Story” is the epitome of the dysfunctional family. 

While there is always the stereotype of the dysfunctional family, an even stranger stereotype is the Scrooge of the Holiday Season.  Charles Dicken’s classic novel about Ebeneazer Scrooge and his ghostly journey through past present and future is still inspiring the holiday spirit in everyone, even today.  But, of course, no one can talk about the Scrooge of the Holidays without talking about another childhood classic: “How the Grinch Stole Christmas”.  “I like ‘How the Grinch Stole Christmas,’” says Senior Kyle Cherubini, “because it shows that presents have nothing to do with Christmas, even though that is untrue.”  The Grinch is basically a meaner version of Ebeneazer Scrooge, because he doesn’t just say “hum-bug,” he actually tries to stop Christmas forever.  The music is one of the best parts of the special.  While we may have heard the songs years ago, they are still ringing in our heads today. 

Sure, everyone may remember the childhood movies because we grew up with them, but everyone knows the classics because of their quality.  “It’s a Wonderful Life,” for example, tells the heart-warming story of a man who sees what the world would be like without him in it and realizes the world is a better place with him.  The movie poses an interesting question, and then gives a just answer.  It is a feel-good film in every sense.

Holiday specials are important to everyone because they all are equally important to the season itself.  They all represent a different part of the Holidays.  There is such a variety between them because no one shares the same Holiday traditions.