OMG! I just wrecked..

South Carolina is now working to pass a bill (Bill H. 4282) that will make it illegal to use a written form of communication while driving (texting and driving). The bill states:

“It is unlawful for a person to use a wireless electronic communication device to compose, send, or read a text-based communication while operating a motor vehicle on the public streets and highways of this State.”

Chapin High School’s resource officer, Officer Hughes says

“The number one cause of death of people ages 16-24 is car crashes. They’re not accidents, and they could easily be prevented. These car crashes are caused by distractions and texting is one of these distractions. Not only are teenagers guilty of this, but adults are as well.”

Some experts have estimated that the impairment level associated with texting and driving is worse than two times the legal limit of D.U.I. Some states such as Florida have put this type of law into effect say that the statistics have not changed, and have pretty much said that the law has not stopped drivers from texting and driving or being on the phone while driving.

Although the bill that South Carolina is proposing states that it would be illegal to text while operating a motor vehicle, the law does not apply to persons that are:

“Lawfully parked or stopped; using a hands-free wireless electronic communication device or a voice-activated feature or function of the device”

The Bill could possibly be changed to restrict not only texting while driving, and may even restrict being on the phone.

Many students at Chapin High school are guilty of texting and driving. Students may think that they’re good at texting and driving, and can pay attention to both the road and their phone, that might not always be the case.

Sophomore Savannah Hale has first hand experience with this. Hale says
“I got into a wreck, and rear ended an SUV while texting and driving. One second I was looking down at my phone, and the next I hit the back of the car in front of me.”
One second a person could be looking down at their phone, and the next second they could be in the opposite lane or in the back of the car in front of them. Not only could a person damage their car or someone else’s car but, they could hurt themselves or another person. In the year of 2008, 6,000 Americans were killed due to car wrecks caused by cell phone use. Luckily in Hale’s case, nobody was injured. Hale says
“That text was not worth it, it cost me $2500 for me to ask someone to bring me a bow for cheer leading.”

Students need to take a step back and think if the text they’re sending is really worth the risk of injuring themselves or others, or having to pay repair costs if they get into an accident. Junior Kelsey Taylor says,
“Now that I know it might be against the law to text and drive, I’m going to have to think twice before doing it again.”
Chapin High School students should follow Junior Taylor’s example by thinking twice before texting and driving.