Summer Jobs In Chapin

With summer just around the corner, many students are thinking about days on the lake and catching up on sleep, but some will be thinking about earning some much needed cash.High School-to-Work coordinator Mrs. Pam Hite states, “Students like the idea of having their own spending money… Summer jobs are a good idea to get of the house and to earn extra money. However, many work out of necessity.”The news of this year’s summer employment is not very rosy. Unemployment is hovering around nine percent and only one in four teens is expected to find a job this season.Students will need to step up their game if they are going to get hired.  The first step is finding out where the jobs are.“Students come to me for assistance in completing job applications and many who are looking for leads as to who is hiring,” said Hite.Some local businesses contact the school when they have job openings.  Also, the Resource department is trying to establish a job bank that students can access to help in the job search.  Of course, there is always the tried and true method of going around randomly and filling out applications or possibly job shadowing in the hope that something will open up.Hite states, “I have had students who have landed part time jobs as a result of job shadowing.  A good number of students, however, have success in finding their own employment.”Grocery stores like Bi-lo or many restaurants hire high school students for summer employment, but any job where an employer is willing to hire a student is a great opportunity. Students need to keep in mind they are being hired to do a job and work. That means students should be professional from the very first contact with a potential employer.  Snagajob.com recommends, “Regardless of what’s in style, you need to be conservative with your appearance. Excessive hair color, height or product, or any clothing outside of “business” or “business casual,” will leave an impression. But it’s probably not the impression you’re looking to make.”Also, going out with a friend for a job is usually not a good idea. Don’t take along your competition and it makes you look like you are too insecure to do it on your own.  Tip three- make sure to visit places when they are least likely to be busy.  Visiting a restaurant during lunch or dinner or a grocery store on the weekend means you probably won’t be able to talk to a manager or someone in charge of hiring.Some students don’t want to have inside jobs they would much rather be outdoors doing work or doing a type of job that kind of relates to there hobbies.Chris Young says, “When I go look for a job I am going to try to work at Tractor Supply because it relates to my hobby.”Whether indoors or outdoors, employment is not a sure thing, so make sure to take all the right steps to put the odds in your favor.

View Comments (1)