Not too late to trick or treat

There is something about Halloween that seems to bring out the inner child in most teens but some students struggle with finding the right age to stop trick or treating.

A few teens do not see the harm in receiving candy and dressing up as long as it does not take away from younger children.

Junior Laney Kincaid is not afraid to admit that she still enjoys being a kid at Halloween.

She says, “It is tradition. It is fun to get dressed up and it is something I have grown up doing.”

While some students are at parties, Kincaid would rather spend her Halloween night dressing up and getting candy. She cannot imagine Halloween without trick or treating.

It makes her sad to think her last years of trick or treating are coming to an end, and she will not let anything stop her from enjoying her night of trick or treating. She says she faces judgment from parents who think she is just too old but yet she still continues trick or treating.  Kincaid encourages her classmates to trick or treat and not worry about any judgment they could receive.

“Go out and trick or treat if you want to; it’s not that big of a deal. It is just other people’s personal opinions if they don’t want to go trick or treating and it is their decision, but do not let it stop you from doing what you want.”

Sophomore Sarah Wetherell also still enjoys being able to take part in trick or treating.

She says, “I feel as if it is just something you shouldn’t have to give up because you get to get food.”

Others argue that the trick or treating should be saved for younger children.

“I personally think it is awkward whenever I open a door at Halloween and see a teenager wanting my candy, why can’t they buy their own?” says junior Lauren Steedly.

Junior Megan Rich agrees, “Teenagers are taking away little kids candy when they trick or treat.”

A few teens do not see the harm in taking part in receiving candy and dressing up as long as it does not take the fun away from the child. Some teens still take part in the holiday to receive candy, dress up and some still enjoy being able to act like a kid for one night.

Whatever the reason, there is no real harm in trick or treating and acting like a kid for just one night out of the year.