Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Trick or treating replacement

Trunk or Treating has become a very popular festival during the fall season. Rather than doing the typical house-to-house style trick or treating going from car-to-car has gained popularity.

“We regularly have over 100 trunks giving out candy,” says Michael Cathey, worship pastor and marketing director of Chapin Baptist Church.

Trunk or Treating typically revolves around a church or community when groups or individuals park their cars in a parking lot to trick or treat for the candy out of decorated trunks.

Senior Program Director of the YMCA Sabrina Ceballos says, “We have music playing, give out prizes for the best decorated trunk and have fun.”

Many groups around Chapin partake in this activity; local organizations such asChapinBaptistChurchand the Northwest YMCA have been holding this event for many years.

“We have been doing Trunk or Treat for over twelve years,” says Cathey,

Ceballos says this will be the third year of Trunk or Treating at the Y.

“It’s a great way to kick off the weekend. It’s a safe place for kids and families to dress up, go trick or treating and hang out with their friends,” Ceballos says.

Not only is Trunk or Treating a fun event for families, it is also a safer alternative to Trick or Treating for younger crowds.

“Having Trunk or Treating at the Y lets parents see exactly where they and their kids are going, who is giving them candy and not have to worry about asking strangers or houses who don’t celebrate Halloween,” explains Ceballos.

Cathey says the event does provided a safe venue to celebrate Halloween but that is not their sole purpose.

“While many churches do harvest festivals or trunk or treats to offer a safe alternative to trick or treating, we believe this is not a great need in the relatively safe town ofChapin,” Cathey continues, “What we do believe in however, is no strings attached. Our goal is not to raise money or add to our numbers in terms of church attendance. We simply want to let our community know that we love them.”