Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Chapin Student Press Network

Collins hits his mark at Chapin

The new school year has brought many changes from additional renovations to new teachers. Mr. Andy Collins is one of the newest additions to the Eagle family.

Collins is a new teacher in the English after taking an indirect route fromDutchForkHigh School.

His unique, funny and entertaining style has already started his students talking.

Junior Evan Staub says, “He is probably the best teacher of all time. He even told me what my name means in German. I love him.”

Whatever it may be, Collins always finds a way to make ninety minutes in a classroom seem more enjoyable.

Collins’ distinctive style has developed due to his many experiences in life.

He has previously lived inGermany, where he taught for several years and picked up the sport of fencing.

Collins says he has an interest in starting a fencing club here at Chapin.

While he still considered a novice by some he humbly stated, “I guess I’m decent; I’ve been to nationals a few times.”

Collins also has a great sense of humor, and gets along very well with his students.

Junior Dana Calderone, “He is the Iron man ofChapinHigh School. Funniest teacher I have ever met.”

Every class, Collins has lots of “traditions” he goes through. He said, “I like to spice things up. The normal classroom bores me.”

Collins also does a drawing each class to see who gets to sit in the Lazy Boy chair for the whole block. He writes down everyone’s name or nickname he gives them, and then picks one randomly.

Collins also juggles and plays hacky sack almost every day when his students walk into class. He even will have the desks arranged in different ways most classes.

He has such a fun and interesting personality, which is why his class is never a bore. Junior Rachel Gruber says, “It’s so funny how every time we walk into the classroom he is playing hacky sack or juggling. This is why he is my favorite teacher of the year so far!”