Lacrosse teams Disqualified

Recently, Chapin High School’s girl lacrosse team andIrmo High School boys lacrosse team were disqualified from playoffs and the opportunity of the athletes to be eligibile forAll State and All Region titles.  The disqualification came after a review of team formation rules by the SCHSL.

The league in a vote held by state 4A schools determined that the team had formed legally but had not followed the petition to play process that allowed to form a mult-school team in the first place. The violation forced both teams to forfeit some of the wins from this season.

In a separate action, the SCHSL rejected both teams petitions to be allowed to play in state playoffs if they qualified.

The lacrosse team for Chapin is comprised of players from three total schools: Chapin, Irmo, and Dutch Fork.  All three schools combined to form what some call a “super team.”  When it was discovered that Chapin had not made the annual request to continue to play as a super team, the league took action.

The request was resubmitted but was denied again.

The team practiced hard all season and looked to have had a fair shot in the playoffs for this year.  However, a minor mistake cost the team their chance.

“It’s unfair because we tried hard and now we don’t even get this chance all because of that form,” said sophomore lacrosse player Bethany Hermelin.

Perhaps the biggest change to arise out of the controversial season, will be a separation of teams by school. Each school if there is interest will form its own boys and girls lacrosse program.

Some players are concerned that this year’s disqualification will hurt interest in the sport at CHS since many athletes and parents were disappointed with the situation.

Only a few details have been given about the team next year.

Dutch Fork recently had an interest meeting at their school for students interested in playing for the Lacrosse team next year.  The school had over seventy students sign up with interest in joining and it can only be hoped that Chapin has this many interested participants. Once all the details have been sorted out Chapin will hold its own team  interest meeting this coming school year and will be able to try again for another shot.