Spirit competition starts new tradition

CHS long known for its tradition of excellence has been introduced to a new tradition, a class spirit competition and the senior lunch line skip is up for grabs.
This new tradition approved by Principal Ross was created as a way to get the student body to show more spirit, since a privilege is up for grabs, but not everyone is happy about the change
Junior Alisha Kifer said, “I disagree with the contest, it should be left for the seniors because the seniors have looked forward to this privilege since they were freshman, so changing it now wouldn’t be very fair.”
Kifer represents the view of many students who feel that the loss of a privilege is the wrong way to increase spirit. Most students are not opposed to the idea of a competition but they are not excited about the loss of a privilege.
Student Body President Bailey Gowans said, “I’m not happy that the seniors could lose their cutting in the lunch line privilege, but it does give incentive for people to attend pep rally’s and show more school spirit.”
The administration understands the frustration of those seniors who have waited for their turn but feels that school spirit is more consequential than cutting in line at lunch.
Ross said, “I think everyone,…, to improve school spirit, we all have to feel like we have a paintbrush painting the identity contributing to the excellence. It’s by no mistake that I say we are the best high school in the state of South Carolina.”
While the change is being met with resistance by some, other students understand that school spirit is important not only to the teams on game night but to the Chapin community in general.
Varsity football player Zach McCall said, “I think it’s important for the school to support the football team because the student body starts building the community within the Chapin High School walls and then it extends to the rest of the Chapin community.”
School spirit is a representation of the love of a school not only on the field, but off.
School spirit has been a source of debate for years. The problem is rooted in the dilemma of encouraging enthusiasm without forcing the fidelity.
Varsity cheerleader Evan Staub said, “School spirit means representing your school with pride and enthusiasm. Gotta love ‘our dear old school.”