Cell Phone Crazy

ChapinHigh Schoolis starting this school year with a new cell phone policy. The policy allows students to use their cell phones during lunch, in class for instructional purposes, and in various “free zones” around campus.  Many students are excited by the new change.

Freshman Sidney Scheper said, “I love the new cell phone policy. It’s so much easier than having to hide my phone all the time. I think it’s really helpful if I need to make plans after school or if I forget something at home.”

Bowing to student pressure and the realization that the new technology of smart phones can be used in a productive matter, the district decided to amend the previously existing policy.

The new policy states,

“Students may use wireless communication devices such as cellular phones, electronic pagers or any other communications devices before and after school, during their lunch break, within “Free Zones” (as determined by the principal) and as deemed appropriate by the teacher and approved by the principal educational and/or instructional purposes ONLY. Any other use of wireless communications is considered misuse and violations may result in disciplinary action.”

Students may ask why the cell phone policy has been changed in the first place. Principal Akil Ross said,

“It all started with the superintendent, Dr. Hefner, to view cell phones in a less negative way. We realized that we were running away from this technology, when we needed to embrace it. I think that it’s a direction to grow. The amount of time of students use cell phones during the day is tremendous. If a student wants to check email, text, or talk to their parents during their lunch we should let them do it.”

Most students welcome the compromise.

“I think the cell phone policy has benefited the students by making it easier to contact others and makes using cell phones less stressful,” added Junior Bailey Gowans.

Students are not the only ones enthusiastic about cell phones in the classroom.  Teachers like Mrs. Jane Rangel see the practical applications.

Mrs. Rangel said, “I like the new policy, I like being able to use cell phones as a resource or as a tool in the class room.”

Some students would like to see the policy go one step further with the addition of more cell phone usage areas.

Senior Stephen Hutto said,

“Maybe being able to use it in the halls during class change would make it better.”

That being said there are some students who believe that the new cell phone policy is perfect as it is.

“I don’t think they could make it any better without saying that you can just text in class. I think it is pretty lenient the way it is,” said Scheper.

As for the majority of the students at Chapin High School, the new cell phone policy has definitely been a change for the better.