Inside the Mind of Girl Gamers

Girl Gamers. It’s not a myth. It’s not fake and video games are not a boy only hobby. Girls play just as much as boys.
Sitting and playing hardcore games, like World of War Craft (WoW) and Modern Warfare 3 (MW3) have become something girls have been gossiping about.
Controller in hand and microphone hooked up, guys are shocked when they hear a girl’s voice come across the stream.
“Lots of guys think girls cant play. That they’re better than us in the gaming world. We hide behind things when we are playing a shooting game, and that we are not good players,” said junior Kaliope Kokolis.
Girl gamers are just as good as any other girl. They cracks jokes with the guys but they take their gaming seriously. When a girl declares that she is a gamer she is just simply placing herself with a few other girls that are just like her.
Well they exist, they are real, and lots attend Chapin High School.
Getting into gaming was easy for a lot of girls, with older brothers and open parents they were able to express individuality through playing a boys’ game. But some got into gaming by accident.
“I got into it because it helped me read when I was little. It was like playing a story book,” said Kokolis.
The thing about being a gamer is the true definition of a gamer. There’s a hard-core gamer and a casual gamer.
A casual gamer is somebody who plays games made to please a wide mass of people, games such as Plants vs. Zombies or Farmville.
A hard-core gamer is somebody who plays Skyrim and MW3. The game doesn’t define the person; it is how much they play them. Also, it does not matter what device gamers play on, whether it’s a phone or a high definition flat screen television. Just like reality shows, sports, and reading, all people play games. Girls that play games just choose games as a preferred way to pass the time.
“Something that is different about us is that we do tend to not spend as many hours as boys do because we have some things that we do have to do,” said senior Marissa Hutton.
Things that guys seem to miss out on are that they all think the average girl gamer is incapable of playing video games. Where most are some of the top ranked player at the end of the night in games like WoW and MW3.
“Guys tend to be straight forward and go with the typical strike. Girls analyze the situation and can come up with a better strategy. But in the end it is all about skill,” said junior Kelly Chion

ALISON GALAT