Students Reluctant to Participate

In ChapinHigh School’s 2012 elections most of the candidates went unopposed. Students did not have to make difficult decisions as to who would be running their school, but simply just clicked the only name that appeared for each position.

The lack of students running for student government positions is extremely disappointing, but the number of students voting is not ideal either. Most students don’t vote because they don’t care or think that because there are few spots running in opposition, there is no need to vote.

Junior Amari Hawkins said, “I didn’t care what people said in the election videos. I voted for my friends and to get a free Popsicle.”

Although getting a free Popsicle is a good bribe to get students to vote, most of them don’t do it for the right reason. Then the following year students complain about pep rallies, spirit week, school events, and most of all, the people in the student government positions, which is highly hypocritical. The student body complains but they do not take advantage of the opportunities for change that are given to them.

Student Body President Logan Schumpert said, “In high school you’re going to have a majority of students who don’t care and who just check off a box. Then those same students are the ones who come to you and complain about it. It’s frustrating, but you can’t change everybody.”

Voting isn’t the only thing that lets students have voice in how they are governed at school. Running for positions can be a way to change the complaints students are making, but most people are not willing to do vote or run.

“There are plenty of students that have leadership qualities and have leadership characteristics that could thrive in a student government position but they choose not to because they don’t want to take the time,” said Schumpert.

Students do not realize that being in a student government position could be beneficial. Most colleges would rather take an average B student that participates in a multitude of extracurricular activities than a straight A student who is solely focused on school. Having that balance shows a person’s involvement and ability to handle various things at the same time. But some people, regardless of what the benefits might be, don’t want to participate because they do not enjoy it.

Freshman Beau Schelble said, “I wanted to do student government in the first place so I could be involved and represent my class. But this year was not an enjoyable experience….”

Other people don’t participate due to the restrictions set by student government. Students not only have to be willing to devote their time to events, but to even be eligible to run for a position, students have to have a 3.0 GPA.

“I think the restrictions are dumb because I have leadership abilities, but can’t run for a position because I’m not a good test taker and don’t get good enough grades,” said sophomore Shawn Cromer.

Decreasing the grade requirements and the amount of events a student would have to attend would increase the participation, but the student government doesn’t want to lower their standards.

Schumpert said, “The requirements are set in place to find the right people. So if you don’t have the requirement of this grade or having this GPA and you don’t have the requirement of attending events, then you’re going to have the wrong people in the wrong positions. You’re not going to have the people who want to be there, you’re going to have people who are just in that position just because it is a resume booster or it is a grade booster.”

The problem of participation is obvious, but finding a solution is difficult.