New club teaches students about service dogs

When most people hear about PAALS (Palmetto Animal Assisted Life Services), they think of a club for students who love dogs but PAALS is more than that. It is a club centered on helping people by making a significant difference in the lives of others.

“PAALS is just a great organization. We help dogs help people.  How much better can that be?  Then you meet clients you would have never otherwise met.  We get to branch out and come across neat people and neat dogs,” said club member Sue Pfaff.

One of CHS’s newest clubs is open to students who want to learn about what service dogs do for people that have mobility issues, autism or other disabilities.

“I have cousins who have disabilities, so I thought joining PAALS could be a way for me to be a part of a club and help out in our community,” said junior and new member Victoria Chapman.

At the most recent meeting, Afghan war veteran Will Roberts who suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder spoke about his service dog.

“RC” helps him to get through everyday situations like going to the grocery store.  For example, when he says “Cover me” in the grocery store, the dog will stand behind him and alert him if someone is getting too close, which helps relieve a potentially stressful situation for Roberts.

The club also hopes to break service dog stereotypes like only serving as help for the blind.  They also assist clients with many different mental and physical disabilities. 

The club helps begin the service dog training process by teaching students the basics.

“I love learning the cues for the dogs and teaching others how to train them.  It feels great to help a person like Will, a person I wouldn’t have gotten to know without PAALS, with a dog that genuinely helps to make a difference in their life,” said vice president sophomore Madison Hunt.

The service dogs come from the organization PAALS and if a student wishes to volunteer and help train dogs for clients they can take classes at PAALS and volunteer for the organization. 

“My favorite part about PAALS is meeting new people and seeing how excited they get when they see one of the service dogs that they trained out and helping with a client,” said PAALS president Maddy Pfaff.

Meetings are held in theMediaCenterand the times and dates are made through the announcements.