Christmas Gifts

One of the toughest tests any student may face this December may not be in the classroom. It may be at the mall. The annual dilemma of what to buy a girlfriend/boyfriend for Christmas has perplexed teens for generations. There are the age old questions like how much to spend or what to get. While those may seem simple enough on their own, the amount of time a person is in is in a relationship can really be the deciding factor. While it is a bit of a gamble, a boyfriend or girlfriend could just base the gift on the knowledge of their significant other.

“You get them a gift from what you know about them, and how you feel about. If you’re dating a person you should know what they like, if you don’t you need pay attention more,” says Sophomore Kendra Hall.

The gamble could be rewarded.

Junior Stephen Hutto says, “I don’t really tell Tori what I want for when it comes to presents; it’s more of a guessing game. I like to see how well she pays attention to what I say I like.”

In some cases the pressure of what to get for Christmas can drive a relationship to its breaking point. Sophomore Savannah Hale says

“I’ve pretended to be mad at my boyfriend until the holiday season is over and get back together after Christmas so there isn’t the pressure of what to get anymore.”

How does a person go about deciding what they’re going to get their significant other if ending the relationship is out of the question? Some people just go right out and say what they want from their boyfriend/girlfriend and ask what they want in return.

Junior Emily Perry says, “I just ask Jacob what he wants for Christmas, and I tell him what I want. I think it’s easier that way. There isn’t any confusion about what to get or disappoint when someone receives a gift they really don’t like.”

But why is the process so difficult? Simple- it is not about the gift as cliché as it may be it truly is the thought that counts.

Junior Lauren Roppolo says, “Money isn’t everything. I like to get gifts that cost a lot, but I really like gifts that have thought put into them.”

A person can go to the store and get their boyfriend/girlfriend a present or they could take a more original approach like Hannah Fallaw and spend less money with the same effect.

Junior Hannah Fallaw says, “For one of my ex-boyfriends, I didn’t spend a lot of money, I made him a tie blanket. I made it with his favorite colors and it took me a few days to make. He really enjoyed it and knew it came from the heart because I made it. I think that that was worth more than spending money on something from the store.”

Whether the thoughtful gift is store bought or handmade, the best presents are straight from the heart.